Why You Should Teach English in Spain (Pt. 2)

There are countless reasons why someone would want to come to Spain to teach ESL rather than another part of the world and many of the reasons are self explanatory (check out our other post on this topic). Who wouldn’t want to live in such a beautiful and culturally rich country as Spain?

In this post we are going to look at some of the other less obvious, but still incredibly beneficial, reasons why you should come to Spain to teach English.

Four-Day Work Week

That’s right! Even though school will be in session five-days a week, you will only be required to teach and be in the classroom four out of those five days.

You won’t know till you arrive the first day of class on October 1st (the Spanish school year goes from September to June but you’ll start a month after they do), but you will either have every Monday or Friday off.

That means, you’ll have a three-day weekend every week that you can dedicate to exploring your city or town, traveling all throughout Spain, going to the beach or taking a long-weekend trip to Germany or France.

The four-day workweek is great because it is the perfect balance between working hard and building up your experience and resume as an ESL teacher, all the while taking advantage of the beautiful and unique country you’ll find yourself in.

No Prior Teaching Experience Required

Maybe you’ve never taught ESL before but are looking for an opportunity to begin building your resume and experience. If that’s you, or even if you already have extensive ESL experience inside or outside of the classroom, this is the perfect position for you.

There is no requirement of previous experience and is open to anyone under the age of 60 that is a native English speaker.

If you’re looking for your “big break” into the ESL world, or have your TEFL certificate and would like to put some miles on it, then teaching English in Spain is the perfect fit for you.

The Salary is Great

In comparison to the average Spanish salary, what you will be making as an ESL teacher is amazing! And the best part is you won’t be paying taxes on anything!

As an ESL, or auxilar, in the Spanish public school system, you will be making anywhere between 750€ to 1,000€ depending on where you live.

For example, if you live in Madrid, the largest and most expensive city in Spain, you will be making a monthly salary of 1,000€ which will cover all your living expenses and then some. Since the cost of living (see our other post on this topic) in Spain is so much cheaper than, say, the United States, you can get by with a lot less and still live a very comfortable lifestyle.

If you’re living in a smaller Spanish city or region, such as Badajoz, you will be making about 850€ a month which will be more than enough since the cost of living in less populated areas is significantly less expensive than Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia, the three most populated cities in Spain.

In short, the salary you make as an ESL teacher is plenty and the pot is sweetened even more since there will be no taxes to pay on top of it!

Every euro you make is a euro you keep.

Free Health Insurance

One of the best perks from teaching ESL in Spain is that the Spanish government will provide you with free health insurance all the while you’re there teaching.

If for some reason you ever needed to go to the doctor because of a cold, or head to the hospital for something more serious, the Spanish government would take care of it and, best of all, foot the bill.

If you have any specific questions about teaching ESL in Spain leave a comment below or send us an email at rvfspain@gmail.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.

For those of you who have already taught ESL in Spain before, what are some other exciting benefits or perks that you experienced?



If you found this post to be helpful, take a look at our other posts as we discuss a variety of topics related to Spain. If you are interested in teaching and living in Spain for a year, send us an email at rvfspain@gmail.com letting us know so we can contact you today!

What is the Spanish NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) and why do you need it?

Captura de pantalla 2018-02-15 a las 12.28.31
NIE Card (Credit: http://www.suitelife.com)

The NIE, Número de Identificación de Extranjero, is a Spanish Foreigner’s Identification Number needed for all non-Spanish/EU citizens wanting to stay in Spain for more than 90 days. It is an incredibly important number issued by the General Administration of the State (Administración General del Estado) and is necessary for just about every conceivable transaction or affair you would like to pursue in Spain.

The NIE itself is a plastic identification card that is about the exact same size and feel as a U.S. driver’s license. It contains a photo with your Spanish address, fingerprint and personal information.

But the most important bit of information it contains is your NIE number, which is a seven-digit number that begins with a letter and ends with a letter, such as X-1234567-P. This number will never expire and cannot be transferred to another person or changed.

For what types of activities would you need a NIE?

If you are planning on staying inside of Spain for more than 90 days, you will 100% need a NIE. If you are planning on staying inside of Spain less than 90 days, for example maybe you are studying abroad in Barcelona for two months, you won’t need to worry about this at all. Chances are you won’t be doing anything that would require a NIE, such as working or purchasing property if you are staying for that little of time.

You will need a NIE in Spain if you are:

  • Staying in Spain more than 90 days;
  • Working in any capacity or attempting to get a job or are becoming autónomo/freelance;
  • Paying taxes in Spain;
  • Applying for a Spanish drivers license;
  • Applying for a social security number and/or social security benefits;
  • Purchasing a car or property or any asset that has a value of €3,000 or more;
  • Receiving any type of inheritance asset;
  • Applying for a loan or a mortgage;
  • Pursuing most any form of professional, business or economic related interest.

Most likely if you are a tourist and only plan to visit Spain less than 90 days, you won’t need a NIE. However, if you are planning on staying in Spain more than 90 days, and/or do any of the above mentioned activities, you will absolutely need to apply for one.

If you need assistance applying for a NIE and starting the process, you can send us an email at rvfspain@gmail.com and we can help you with the process from start to finish.



If you found this post to be helpful, take a look at our other posts as we discuss a variety of topics related to Spain. If you are interested in teaching and living in Spain for a year or need assistance becoming autónomo, send us an email at rvfspain@gmail.com letting us know so we can contact you to set up a free 20 minute consultation!

What is the Abono and how can you get one?

Abono (Credit: http://www.crtm.es)

The Madrid Public Transportation Card, referred to as an Abono Transportes is a small, red plastic card (same feel and size as a credit card) that is used to access public transportation within the city of Madrid, Spain. Much like a Charlie Card for Boston or a Metro Card for the New York subway, the abono transportes is a plastic card that is pre-charged with either a specific number of uses, or for unlimited use within a 30 day period.

It used to be that several months ago if anyone in Madrid wanted to take the subway (known as the metro in Madrid) they could just buy a one-way pass in the form of a small, paper ticket. However, those days are gone and it is mandatory in Madrid for all, natives, foreigners and tourists alike, to purchase the abono and charge it for however many trips they will be needing it for.

How much does an abono transportes cost?

That depends on your age. And where you would like to go. Madrid is a city but it is also the name of the autonomous community (more or less a state for all of our American readers) that Madrid the city resides in. The abono can take you anywhere you like to go in Madrid the city or Madrid the “state.”

If you are 25 years old or less, then the “youth” abono will only cost you €20 each month for unlimited transportation on the metro, buses and trains anywhere inside Madrid the “state” for 30 days. Such a good deal!

If you are between 26 years old and 64 years old you will have to apply for the “normal” abono that ranges in price depending on where you would like to go. For most tourists visiting Madrid, and even for most expats living in Madrid, you will almost certainly find yourself exclusively in Zone A, which for someone with the “normal” abono would cost €54.60 for unlimited use of public transportation, inside Zone A, for a 30 day period.

If you are older than 64 years old, then a “senior” abono for you will cost €12.30 for unlimited use on all forms of public transportation for 30 days within Zone A to Zone C2, which is a basically anywhere you would like to go/would ever have any reason to go, especially if you are just visiting.

Below you can see a more detailed photo of the abono pricing depending on your age and the Zone you would like to visit, including a map of Madrid the “state” and all the Zones its divided in to.

Captura de pantalla 2018-02-14 a las 11.53.35
Abono Prices (Credit: planosdemetro.com)
zone map
Autonomous Community of Madrid Zone Map


How and where can you apply for the abono?

If it is your first time applying for the abono all you will need to do, once in Madrid, is make an appointment online and then schedule the day and time of the appointment at your convenience at a metro station near you.

The online appointment can be made here, and all you will need to do is:

  1. Click on the first option Quiero obtener una Tarjeta Transporte Público/I would like to obtain the Public Transportation Card, and then Aceptar/Accept.
  2. On this page there will be three options. Click the first option El solicitante tiene entre 7 y 25 años if you are between 7 and 25 years old. Click the second option El solicitante tiene 26 años o más if you are older than 26 years old. After selecting the option that applys to you, click Aceptar.
  3. Next you’ll have to select Pasaporte/Passport and then enter the numbers of your passport in the small, rectangular box where it says Documento as well as your country abbreviation. Now you will have to click on Pedir Cita Previa/Schedule an Appointment, if this is your first time.
  4. You’ll be directed to a page where you will see two options that allow you to search by administrative office or by date. The first of the two, Iniciar búsqueda de cita previa por oficinas de gestión, will allow you to search by administrative office, and the second, Iniciar búsqueda de cita previa por fecha, by date. After checking the small box on either of the two options and filling in the information that applies to you, click on Buscar Cita Previa/Look for Available Appointments.
  5. After choosing the day and time that suits you best, click on Confirmar Cita/Confirm Appointment down at the bottom.
  6. In the next page, enter your email address where it says Correo Electrónico, and your phone number where it says Télefono Móvil; enter the codigo de validación/validation code, and lastly click on Finalizar to finalize the process.
  7. You should receive an email confirming your appointment. Print out that confirmation email and bring it with you to your appointment.

What do you need to bring to your scheduled appointment?

You will need to bring:

  1. A completed abono application form which can be found here;
  2.  A passport sized photo (there are small picture booths in many tourist areas of Madrid, such as Sol, near or in the metro stations where you can pay €5 for a pack of 6 passport sized photos);
  3.  And either your passport, or your Spanish residency card and a photocopy of that documentation. If you’re just visiting Madrid we recommend you use your passport because that’s most likely the only official documentation that they will accept. If you don’t have a printer and don’t know where you can make a photocopy of your passport you can click here to find the nearest printing service in Madrid.

Now all you’ll need to do is go to your appointment, get your abono and explore to your hearts content!


*You can download a copy of the Madrid Metro Map here.



If you found this post to be helpful, take a look at our other posts as we discuss a variety of topics related to Spain. If you are interested in teaching and living in Spain for a year or need assistance becoming autónomo, send us an email at rvfspain@gmail.com letting us know so we can contact you to set up a free 20 minute consultation!